- a wide-mouthed vessel (usually cylindrical) without handles
- the quantity contained in a jar; jarful
- a sudden jarring impact
- to place in a jar
- to shock physically; shake up, bump around
- to move or cause to move with a sudden jerky motion
- to affect in a disagreeable way
jarn.(From Leyden jar) An obsolete unit of capacitance equal to 1/900 microfarad. The container for the elements of a storage cell.
JARabbr.Acronym for Java Archive file. JAR files allow Java developers to efficiently deploy Java classes and their associated resources. The elements in a JAR file are compressed just as in a standard zip file. JAR files include a security mechanism and a special META-INF directory that contains administrative information about the contents of the files. Using a combination of a digital signature and the META-INF data, JAR files can be signed to ensure authenticity and security. See also .jar. Platform-independent file format tat aggregates many files into one.